Saturday 13 June 2015

My last day. Thank You Kolkata.

A year ago I got the news that my husband had got a 1 year transfer to Kolkata. I was not too happy about it, with leaving my home and setting up a new one. Initially kept comparing it to Mumbai, but in no time I settled in, started exploring the city and today I cannot believe how time has flown by and its time to go back home.
It was a great experience for me and I will truly cherish the moments spent here.
An experience which included meeting new people, enjoying the different weather conditions of the East like pre-monsoon, observed new cultures and festivals, saw the lovely landmarks of this city, tried the delicious Bengali cuisine specially the different types of river fish. I tried so many types of fish from bhetki, rohu, katla, pabda, hilsa and many more! Each so yummy! My experience even included feeling the horrible tremors of the earthquake which happened in Nepal which was the scariest and a learning moment for me.
Conversing with the locals was the funniest because I would say one thing and they would give me a bizarre response mainly because of the different pronunciations. Most of the locals were friendly but the cabbies are not the most friendly people so will miss them the least.
Kolkata reminded me of Bombay in the 80s. The city does not have skyscrapers, mostly 4/5 stored buildings & the confusion of a bunch of electric wires hanging everywhere, a little congested. However the green areas this city has maintained is lovely. To see big open spaces is refreshing for a change from Victoria Memorial to Eco Park to the Botanical Garden. I was very impressed.  I was lucky to stay in New Town which was a much better area and more organized and of course near my favorite location that is the airport so I could enjoy watching the planes land and take off!
   So many different memories, so many different lesson learnt. Will truly miss all the lovely times and remember this place fondly.

Some lovely places I saw and pictures I took when I was here.


The Beautiful Victoria Memorial


St. Pauls Cathedral

Belur Math
 

Howrah Bridge

Dakshineshwar Temple
Botanical Garden
Eco Park

Mothers Wax Museum


Durga Puja


Hello Yellow

Dusk

Norwesters
Sun playing peek a boo








No comments:

Post a Comment